Pages

Mixed Media Buzzed, A Fun Favorite!


Hi again! Lauren here sharing another favorite of this past year. This card is a favorite of mine because it is one of my first mixed media cards. I had been wanting to try mixed media for some time and this year I finally was able to give it a whirl! I am so glad I did because it was so fun creating this card. Here's how I did it!

Hi friends! I have been dabbling in mixed media a bit lately and am thoroughly enjoying it. I thought I would make a drippy honey/caffeine inspired card that included this fabulous Caffeinated Bee from The Rabbit Hole Designs.

I started out with a 4.25x5.5" panel which I primed with collage medium then quickly blow dried.

Then I used the Tastes Like Honey stencil, also from The Rabbit Hole Designs. I placed the stencil over my prepared panel and spread a generous amount of modeling paste over the stencil. I set it aside to dry completely (I started in the evening, so mine dried overnight).

Next, I added color to the dry panel using Fossilized Amber and Ground Espresso. I smooshed the ink pads on my glass mat and spritzed with water. I also sprayed my panel with water. Then using a paint brush, applied the color to the top and let the flow by tipping the panel.
When the ink had dried, I rotated the panel and did the same technique to the "bottom" of the panel.


While the panel way drying, I stamped my bee onto white cardstock and colored her using Prisma Color pencils. Then die cut her out.
The colors were:
Bee: Lemon Yellow, Canary Yellow, Spanish Orange, Yellowed Orange, 30%,50%,70%, 90% Warm Greys
Wings: Sky Blue Light, Caribbean Sea
Mug: Sky Blue Light, Caribbean Sea, Light Cerulean Blue

After that, I went back and splattered my panel with Ground Espresso and Fossilized Amber Distress Oxide inks. I set it aside to dry.
Then, I ink blended the Fossilized Amber through the stencil onto a 4.25x5.5" white cardstock panel. Using Gathered Twig Distress Oxide ink on a finger, I rubbed/distressed all around the edges of the panel. Then I adhered it to my top folding card base (same measurements).

Next, I trimmed down my "drippy honey" panel and bordered it with brown cardstock. Then I adhered it to my card base on an angle.
I stamped the sentiment onto brown cardstock using an embossing ink pad and heat embossed in white. I used a sentiment die from my stash to trim it down. I die cut a second sentiment strip of the same size in yellow and distressed it with some Gathered Twig D.O. I adhered those onto the card then added an action wobble to my bee and put her on too!
I hope you enjoy this mixed media card. I had a ton of fun making it and it was much easier than I had thought it was going to be. I hope it inspires you to give it a try as well! Thanks for visiting!

1 comment:

  1. Such a fabulous card! The bee is so fun and that grungy, textured background is so cool!

    ReplyDelete